Saturday, July 10, 2010

Found one young loon




Baby loons are rare around Lake of the Woods. While chatting with the fellow who made the loon nesting platform, he informed me that while on the M.S. Kenora, he had spotted many loon pairs on the cruise, but not one baby. However, he had spotted one pair with a youngin' by Mud Portage (a few kilometers from our cottage) That evening I boated over to the area and found the loon family. The baby was no longer a baby, but was large enough to swim under water for a remarkable amount of time by itself. What I learned that evening is that my encounter with the loons last summer was indeed a rare event. This new family was not at all interested in allowing me to get anywhere near to them. They cried warnings and performed the " scoot across the water to lure me away from their young" trick. It was pretty disappointing but I managed to get a couple of shots in time I was floating around in the bay.

As a side, I'm going to have a photo exhibition based on my loon photos (and other landscape shots) at the Sunset Gallery in Kenora from August 12-14th. If you're in the area come and pop by!

No comments:

Post a Comment