Sunday, May 9, 2010

May 9th: egg in the nest


As many of you know, last year I photographed a loon family with their baby chicks in our bay in Lake of the Woods. It was a wonderful experience and I was blessed to have been able to capture the birds relatively close up. The two adult loons are now nesting again in our bay, and there is one egg in the nest. It is interesting to observe their taking turns on the nest, and alarmingly, leave the nest for a considerable amount of time before returning to sit! I've read that they can leave for up to an hour. I was able to photograph the egg and the adults sitting this weekend.

The gestation for loons is 27 days, so hopefully in 4 weeks or less, there will be a baby loon here. The birds also can lay eggs on different days, and the average is two. We're hoping to see more eggs when we return two weeks from now. Check out my webpage for for loon photos. www.loonphotography.com

No comments:

Post a Comment